I have known of people who have serious problems with their scalp. Dandruff, scabs on scalp and acne on scalp are just among the major culprits for this kind of problem. Although they are not life-threatening, you would not like to have any of them. Once I had an itchy scalp which lingered for more than a week. I later found out that it was caused by a dry scalp which could have been easily remedied had I known of the cause of the problem earlier.
Some people are like me. They just take their scalp problem for granted, thinking it will just go away. But unless you apply some remedy for it, the problem will not be solved and will linger for days, weeks or even months.
Among scalp problems, a dry scalp is among the more serious problems because it may cause hair loss if not treated earlier. Aside from that, it will cause itchiness and an unmanageable hair. Dry scalp can also be a result of overuse of chemical products such as shampoos, conditioner, sprays and gel on your hair. They will strip all the natural moisture present in the scalp leading to dryness. Additionally, extreme climatic condition such as staying in an air-conditioned room or under the sun for longer hours may also cause this problem. Symptoms include flaky scalp and itchiness.
There are a number of products in the supermarket that claim to help nourish the scalp to prevent dryness. But sticking to natural dry scalp remedies are healthier and less expensive alternatives. They also don’t have potential side effects which are common among chemical products:
- Tea tree oil – This oil offers a moisturizing and nourishing effect to the scalp. At the same time, it is also rich in antibacterial and antifungal properties that can keep your scalp healthy. When using this home remedy, always dilute the oil into water before massaging the scalp.
- Apple cider vinegar – Apple cider vinegar is a known remedy for many ailments including dry scalp. By applying a diluted apple cider vinegar on the scalp, it can help balance the pH level, thereby promoting a healthy scalp.
- Lemon juice – Lemon juice mixed with honey makes an amazing remedy for dry scalp. Lemon has a cleansing property while honey has antibacterial properties, making them a good combination in keeping your scalp healthy. However, if you have a broken skin on the scalp, do not use this remedy because it will cause a stinging sensation and may even cause other problems.
- Coconut Oil – This is one of the most popular remedies for various scalp problems including dry scalp. It can naturally treat any problem related to flakiness and dryness. Simply massage coconut oil on the scalp and leave it for several hours before rinsing.
- Olive Oil – Olive oil is rich in vitamin E which is not only good for the skin but also for the scalp. Massage warm olive oil on the scalp and then leave it for half an hour before rinsing.
When it comes to treating minor health problems, I always go for the natural remedies. Because of that, I highly recommend using any of the abovementioned remedies for dry scalp before trying out commercial treatments.